- Hey, so Sherie Muijs launched her new site on Wednesday and it is looking pretty nice, check it out, and while you’re there, pick me up one of these shirts whydontcha?
- I’ve talked about her a billion times before, but damn Chelsea Jade Metcalf is cool. And a master of the English language. And good looking and well dressed. Evidence here.
- Answering some of my tumblr questions after a long period of not doing it. My thoughts on Dunedin, where to buy camo (…), laptops, and backhanded compliments all here, or if you just want to see the questions without the pictures, see here.
- Why IS Whitney Port asking for money via the internet? Good question Jenna, good question.
- All right. Here’s the thing. Today I went to the New Zealand Fashion Week model casting, and while I love models and the industry, I also kind of hate them/it at the same time, and I’ve been more on the hating it side of late so you can imagine how much I was dreading that 8:45am start time this morning. Anyway, it went a lot better than I thought it would and it didn’t run over time which was nuts but amazing. (PS: Photos coming tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after, and as long as I can drag them out for.)
- Speaking of models and all that stuff, today was a reminder of exactly how close New Zealand Fashion Week actually is. It’s just less than month away. Read: Super close. Anyway, it occurred to me today that I haven’t organised anything – a blogging plan, registration, an assistant… Do you see where I’m going with this? I might have an assistant but it’s hard to say at this moment how many days they can cover, etc, so I’m going to need to find a back-up or a secondary assistant. This is where you may fit in, reader: Do you want to be yelled at and ordered around and treated like a piece of meat? Are you friendly and personable? Are you CAPABLE? If I say ‘jump’ will you just do it without even saying ‘how high?’ If so, get in touch. Email me, and tell me exactly why I should take a chance on you. I’m telling you now, I am not ‘cool’ or ‘breezy’ or ‘relaxed’ at fashion week – I work and if you are my assistant, I own you. If you go to an after party and you’ve had two hours sleep I still expect you to go above and beyond at 8:00am even if it’s just going backstage to grab a model. (FYI: Extra points for people who recognise models and their names.) What can I offer you in return? The privilege of being bossed around by me. A lanyard that has a pass with ‘If found, please return to Katherine Lowe’ on it. And lunch/dinner and the occasional high five, if there’s time for it. Note: Must have smart phone. Second note: If you comment asking me what my email address is, or when the fashion week dates are, don’t bother. I’ve written you off already.
- In reference to the NZFW model casting points above, there’s literally nothing that makes you feel more inadequate than standing around skinny, tall, attractive people for four hours. If I hadn’t done it a million times before I’d be in that wrist-slitting zone. Comparison is the thief of joy and damn there was a lot of comparing going on.
- You know how my week last week was pretty much the worst? This week wasn’t too much better and there’s still 20 unread emails in my inbox, about 35 flagged. If you’re waiting on a response from me, I know. I know, I know, I know. Step off for a second okay?! Just back up, and step off.
- “I’ve had a lot of mixed feelings about what I do … A lot of the time, I feel like I’m part of the problem when it comes to all the superficiality and vanity that impacts the way girls grow up” – Daria Werbowy. I too, have mixed feelings about what I do.
- I got my bellybutton pierced during exams in fifth form, partially as an act of rebellion (I know, I was pretty tame) and partially because I thought it would make me cool or edgy or something. Years later, I removed the piercing, and even more years later (ie. today) I still have that weird bellybutton piercing hole/scar. It taunts me every time I look down. Moral of the story? Don’t give in to peer pressure.
- Being stuck between a rock and a hard place. Several times over the past few weeks, I’ve been put in a position where it doesn’t matter what decision I make, it’s going to be bad either way. Not cool man, not cool.