Backstage at Alex Perry's Australian Fashion Week show last year. Last year when I had friends. Sad face.
- This year I am on my own. The last two years of attending the event, I’ve been accompanied by Isaac and others. Sure I spend most of the time blogging and not socialising, but sometimes it’s nice to have someone to walk to the shows with, or to egg you on when you want to approach someone famous but are too nervous too, or to have a 4:00pm-between-shows-late-lunch with. I know a couple of lovely girls (Nicole Warne, you are going to be well sick of me by the end of the week, just warning(ps. Congratulations on FELLT)), but as far as I know, no New Zealand media are going to be there for the duration of the week. So what does that mean? It means at the end of this month I’ll be winging my way to Sydney solo. Girl on a mission! … Who am I kidding? More like Nelly no mates. Sob!
- So, like I said, barely any New Zealand media will be flying over due to the fact that there are actually no New Zealand designers showing. When a New Zealand designer shows, I can pretty much guarantee myself an invite to the show – Australian designers, depending on who they are, are a little trickier. Plus, the official schedule hasn’t been released so I haven’t even requested invites yet. I know! Commence worrying now! Also, with no New Zealand designers showing, will all you Kiwi readers even want to hear about the Aussies?! Am I going over alone for no reason?!
- Australian Fashion Week is a lot different to New Zealand Fashion Week – firstly, the clothes are a lot different. There’s a lot more tits and ass, and they’re Summer collections (as opposed to New Zealand who show Winter). Secondly, the attendees are a lot shinier than New Zealand’s attendees. There’s no other word to describe it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m down with ‘Kiwi Kasual’ but Sydney takes it to a whole ‘nother level. You’d be hard pressed to find a girl without high heels, a full face of makeup and a real ‘stepped out of an editorial’ put-together look. There’s an abundance of high end luxury labels and tans. As you’ve probably gathered, there’s not much of a place for short girls with a tendency towards Chuck Taylor, scruffy boys clothes and no make-up. What am I going to wear?! Will the other bloggers be nice to me if I look like a hobo?!
- Hello, it’s Australia! There’s potential to get bitten by a large deadly spider or snake.
- Hello, it’s Sydney! With flights, accommodation, the exchange rate and you know, eating (okay – nobody else will be eating, but I will), there’s potential for huge debt to be waiting upon my landing back in New Zealand.
- Can you tell the main problem is the first one? Because it is. I’m freaking out guys! I’M FREAKING OUT!
*MBFWA: Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Australia