Me squinting in the sun in my RUBY outfit for the VNZMAs. iPhone photo/Ben Lawson.
- I went to the Vodafone New Zealand Music Awards on Thursday. I’d never been before, properly, so I was pretty lucky to have been invited by RUBY, who were an official sponsor. Anyway, it felt like going to the school ball – dressing up (I wore a combo of RUBY Resort and W14, getting my make-up done (big ups to Mecca Cosmetica for helping me out last minute and fuckin’ nailing it), painting my nails. All stuff I very rarely do because I’m lazy and a giant scruff but it was actually kind of fun to play this glam-like character. I even went on the red carpet (albeit very briefly and with my head down and walking very quickly the whole way).
- The Affair. I have been watching this (up to episode 5 so please, no spoiler alerts) over the last week and shit it is depressing. Depressing, but good. It basically is a (fictional) show that tells the story of two married people who embark on an affair, and it’s told from both sides – so half of the episode is from his side, half is from hers and there’s obvious memory biases which is interesting.
- Summer Paper Round at Melanie Roger Gallery.
- This giant round of cheese that Maddy had at her birthday party on the weekend.
- 601 Sake Bar. Went there for the first time after wanting to try the place for years. Actual years – like, back in 2009 or something I wanted to go and my boyfriend at the time didn’t like Japanese food very much so he didn’t want to. (Funny (kind of) story – he also hated scary movies and stuff so we never went to Spookers either even though I really wanted to go, and then like, 3 weeks after we broke up he went to both Spookers and 601 Sake Bar in the same night with who would become his new girlfriend, and my old flatmates. I was so mad. Still am. Still haven’t been to Spookers. End of overshare.)
- Lykke Li covering Drake’s ‘Just Hold On We’re Going Home’.
- I get told a lot that I never say hi to people a lot. Like, a lot. I was talking to Lani about this other day because she gets it too. You know what? If I don’t know you that well, I assume you don’t remember me so I never say hi. That’s actually what it is. I just assume that no one knows who I am or remembers me if they’ve only met me once or twice, because let’s be honest, that happens a lot too. But also, if someone doesn’t say hi to you and then tells everyone that you’re an asshole for not saying hi to them, aren’t they just as much of a dick because they never said hi either?
- Christmas shopping for people you don’t want to buy presents for lol. You feel like you have to, but then you’re also really mad you’re spending the money at the same time, but then you also don’t want to buy a shit gift because you still want to look good.
- Wow, some people are super racist.